- born in South Carolina, 1948
- coined the term cyberspace for the first time in history in the short story, Burning Chrome
- originally came to Canada to avoid a Vietnam draft call that fortunately never came
- combined noir and the experimental aesthetics of William S. Burroughs with the punk and post-punk scene to create what came to be known as the cyberpunk movement in science-fiction literature
- the cyberpunk movement had a huge influence on speculative fiction, science and journalism, notably shaping the birth of the periodical, Wired
Thank you, Mr. Gibson, for all the fun, the fantasy and guiding my gaze to the future.